March 28, 2011

Crockpot Recipe: Chicken Cacciatore

Fix it and forget it!  These kind of recipes are great for crop days.  No worries about dinner when you get home.  I have been doing the "family test" for a few recipes and will share them periodically so you will have some ideas of "what's for dinner" on those days when all you really want to do is scrapbook!  From Weightwatcers.com.

Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
1 lb. skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces (I used skinless chicken breast)
1 cup fresh, frozen or canned mushrooms (I used 2 cups fresh...we are a mushroom loving family)
1 cup fresh or frozen sliced green peppers (I like em but nobody else in the fam does so I omitted these)
1 cup fresh or frozen onions, chopped
1 medium garlic clove minced
1 TBSP canned tomato paste (I added a second one ...just couldn't leave the extra in the can)
14 1/2 ounce crushed tomatoes, fire-roasted (I didn't have the fire roasted but wish I did)
1/4 cup dry red wine (no wine in the house so used chicken broth to make up the liquid difference)
3/4 tsp dried oregano
3/4 tsp table salt, divided
1/4 tsp black pepper

Place chicken in a 3 to 5 quart slow cooker.  Add mushrooms, green pepper, onion, garlic tomato paste, tomatoes with juice, wine, oregano, 1/2 tsp of salt, and black pepper.  Cover and cook on high heat for 5-6 hours or low heat for 6-8 hours.  Taste just before serving and add remaining 1/4 tsp of salt if needed.  Yields 1 cup per serving.  (four servings, 5 ww points per serving).  I served mine over rice.  And, they ate it up!  (Well all except on family member who has very particular taste buds and opted for a can of chili?)

Wish I had a picture to share.  Will try to remember that for the next one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment